Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Solemn Occasion

Last Thursday, Nov 12th, my kids and I were able to participate in a solemn but awesome experience in town. Nov. 5th the first county resident was killed in Afghanistan. He was a 2006 graduate from the high school. Maybe it's a small town thing but thousands of people lined overpasses and main street as the motorcade carried his body to the Mortuary. As the motorcade approached there was silence and reverence. What an amazing experience. Maybe it was even more meaningful because it was the day after Veterans Day, or maybe because there was such community support. My heart goes out to the family. I love my country. I am grateful for my freedoms and for those fighting in America's name. I was sad to not have my camera but quickly realized all the people perched on rooftops and knew I could never match theirs. Flags everywhere. Love of country everywhere. It was awesome. Here is a link if you are interested.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I loved that experience as well. It gave me so much hope for our community and our nation. I didn't have my camera with me but I have a beautiful mental picture that I hope to hold onto forever.