Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Party Planning 101

What does $10 and creative kids get you? The best pajama party of the year!

This summer we are having $10 days. Once a week I give the kids $10 (total, not each) and they can do whatever they want with it. If they want to buy candy, they can. If they want to get happy meals, they can.... slurpees, ice cream, etc. They can do anything they want...they just have to stay within the $10 budget and they all have to agree. It has been interesting as they have to work together so everyone gets what they want. $10 may not seem like that much for 4 kids, but it is enough and has given me opportunities to teach budgeting and value of money. This week the kids threw a pajama party for their $10 day. They went to the local caramel corn store and spent their money on caramel corn and candy. They set the agenda and planned the day. I let them run with it and holy cow, my kids can throw a party! (I am not joking or being sarcastic)

This is the diagram of the counter--so we knew where each treat would be placed. The party started at noon and went to 6:00. It was suppose to end at 4:30 but they weren't quite done yet so they extended it.
This is the party food spread. They had donuts, candy, punch (with soda in it), cookies, and ice cream. After they got everything out, I added a plate of carrots, celery and cucumbers. They didn't get eaten first, but did get eaten so that pleased me.

Manda's favorite part was being in her pj's all day and getting to go eat food whenever she wanted. The kids were so excited they got up extra early. Needless to say a few of them were falling apart before lunch. I had a talk with them and threatened to make them get dressed if they didn't knock it off. It seemed to do the trick.

Darren was pleased as punch just to be around his crazy siblings. It is hard to believe he is already 2 months!

The kids played musical chairs, twister, wii, gamecube, karaoke, sorry and watched a movie (Nanny McFee). I asked Justin why they needed to have the family room covered in blankets as part of the decoration. He responded, "'cause it's cool, Mom" There is so much I just don't know.

The best part of the whole thing? When it was time to clean up, my kids did it all. They put everything away that they got out. It was so great that I just might let them do it again!

5 comments:

McCain Family said...

This is such a cute idea. I love staying in my Pjs all day long and just eating whatever I wanted, especially donuts! Darren is so dang cute. Well done.

Kristen said...

What a great idea. And what creative kids you have. I am going to have to borrow that idea when my kids get a bit older. And that is the cutest picture of Darren.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

They will totally remember it - Grady gets mad whenever I make him get dressed. looks like they had fun.

Andrea said...

How fun and creative. I really like the $10 a week thing, it's amazing how far that will get you if you pay attention. I'm glad your a blogger now, check out our pictures from camping.

VegasWatkins said...

I love that idea and may have to steal it!! What a fun creative day. Way to go.